Somebody scribbled about Re: [newbie] audio software
>Thanks, for the input. I have just started to use Audacity and it may
>do what I want for editing, but as I move into using my computer for

I haven't tried anything intense with it -- such as multitrack
recording/editing mixing, dj what have you.. As such I don't know
whether or not it is suitable. I recall chatting with the developer of
another multitrack recorder s/w a number of years ago; he did not
think linux was up to snuff for that, and I tried to convince him
otherwise. A lot has to do with sound card buffers and how fast your
computer is. the idea is to record n tracks of audio directly on the hard
drive. broadcast 2000 I think was the software, I think it is still
around, and perhaps will work OK now. I haven't tried it in a very
long time.

Much of what I do with audacity has been to clean up and edit wav files
after I record them. Audacity will record on the fly but it took some
doing to get it to record in stereo. The newer versions allow you to do
that but you have to configure it to do so. For my needs, it works well,
most of the time. the basic task -- recording audio live from the net
(radio station show), editing it, publishing it as an .mp3 on usenet and
burning it to a cd to listen to on the bus. (well, audacity won't do
that, of course) :).  I misssed last night's show, though. In case
anyone's wondering, "Schickele mix" by mr. p.d.q. bach himself :) from
pri.

in 9.0 etc., audacity was problematic in that there were permission
difficulties all over the place. I had to run the thing as root (I know,
bad idea) just to get it to edit.

Beware, audio files in native audacity form eat up large portions of your
hard drive.

I've just now am working from cooker 9.2 beta 1 and i'm getting back all
the thnngs i need.