Dennis Myers wrote:

Thanks John, I appreciate the input and think that from now on I will have /boot partitions on all installs. Does it matter where you put it, as in the first or second partition?

I always put mine on the first harddrive.Never had it on a second drive, I think it might not work there.
It used to be necesary to be within 1024 cylinders(approx 8gigs), however I am told that does not matter any more, but again I've never tried it. when ever I set up a hard drive from the start I just add a suitable partition right at the front whether I turn it into a /boot partition or not, I shove the /swap in the middle for best data flow, the rest is to taste, and it does not matter which harddrive the rest of the partitions are put on , you just please yourself.Whatever happens to suit. I invariably devide the unused portions into convenient spare partitions and add lines in fstab to mount them. Dead handy to have these spare partitions.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]