Dennis Myers wrote:

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 07:32 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

Dennis Myers wrote:

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 02:57 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

On Tuesday 29 Jul 2003 5:29 am, Dennis Myers wrote:

On Monday 28 July 2003 10:46 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 13:24, Dennis Myers wrote:

Has anyone installed two MLinux on two seperate HDs on the same
comp and figured out how to get lilo to read them both at boot?
I am trying to do it so that I can beta test and yet run the
regular system when I am not running tests. Any hints or manual
suggestions are appreciated, I have not found anything to help.

It would truly be a matter of properly writting out the
/etc/lilo.conf of the first installation; the first installation
would write the lilo to the MBR of the first HD; then after
you've done all that wonderful jazz and gotten your primary
installation up and running, do a second installation on the
"second" drive, but choose to NOT write lilo; then make note of
the boot partition for the second installation and whatnot, and
then write that into the /etc/lilo.conf on the first drive.

Thanks Stephen, that is essentially what I am trying to do, just
not getting it right. I will try a clean install of the beta and
not write lilo I think this is where I screwed up. Thanks again,

Just wondering - if you installed to the second drive without the
first attached and let it write its lilo, wouldn't that give you the
info you need?  Then re-attaching the first drive it would boot from
the original lilo, Ithink, and you could add the necessary stanza?

Or am I crazy <g>

Anne

I tried that a while back and ran into a problem with the kernel image not
being on hda, caused a kernel panic for the second OS boot. I am not
having much luck here, if I format both disks when installing the first
OS it won't let me name the 2nd harddrive other than /tmp or /var/www
etc. So I know this can be done and civileme tried to explain how to do
it using a /obj partition, but I must be to dense to figure that one out.
I can not name two / partitions or two /home etc without getting a
conflict. So anyone see how my head is screwed on backwards?

I must say I don't actually have one /home partition, I just let each OS
have a /home directory as part of / base , so my experience is not the
same as yours, but having said that, I cannot see why you need two /home
partitions anyway.
I do have a /boot partition which keeps that simple.
I take it you have all your partitioning done with mandrake's diskdrake,
so diskdrake ought to just recognise the second drive and designate it
hdb, it always has for me.
I then click on the second tab for hdb and begin to partition as
required, if this the second OS install , I designate the /base
partition , format and proceed to install. You already have a /swap so
that's ok,
When your done installing you don't seem to have choice these days and
have to install a new lilo which will boot up initially from the last ,
that is second OS, install's  /etc/lilo.conf, when on sesktop make a
fresh stanza to boot the first OS and reboot to that OS,where if you
prefer to have the bootup done from the first OS /etc/lilo.conf, merely
add a new stanza to boot the second OS and run /sbin/lilo to rewrite mbr
lilo again. If you don't mind booting from the second OS /etc/lilo.conf
then your merely have to add that stanza to boot the first OS. Sounds
complicated but isn't.

You must, I think, have the /boot partition on the first hda, I don't
think it works putting it on the second hdb . I always put mine in as
the frist partition on hda, but I don't think it's imperative anymore.

John

I don't have a problem understanding the above but whenever I try to add the second to the first or vice versa I get "/sbin/lilo Fatal: Open /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xxxmdk; no such file or directory. either way I go it is the same. I remember this problem in the past, it seems unable to see the correct image. ???? Any help?

It cannot find the kernel, I'm guessing here, but seems to me that you elected to have /boot as part of your /base in each OS , Yes ? If so, then you need to copy the kernel over to be with the /boot directory in the same OS where the /etc/lilo.conf is being read.

You see I ellect to have a /bootpartition , so the installers in each OS automatically install the kernel and everything else in the same place and all is found correctly.Incidentally, you may have to copy more than the kernel, there is also the initrd files as well.

Also don't forget to explicity define the kernel and initrd files with each stanza
in /etc/lilo.conf

here is my current /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=791
default=91-2.4.21.0
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=200
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
ignore-table
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
      label=91-2.4.21.0
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=on"
   #append=" quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   vga=791
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
      label=91-failsafe
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   vga=ask
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
   label=91-nonfb
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   vga=ask
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
   label=90-2.4,19-16
   root=/dev/hda6
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img
   append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi nobiospnp"
   vga=791
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
   label=90-nonfb
   root=/dev/hda6
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img
   append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi nobiospnp"
   vga=ask
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
   label=90-failsafe
   root=/dev/hda6
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img
   append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi nobiospnp"
   vga=ask
   read-only
other=/dev/hda1
   label=W2000
   table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
   label=floppy
   unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.22mdk
   label=M91-2.4.21.0.22
   root=/dev/hda7
   read-only
   optional
   vga=791
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.22mdk.img

You will notice the last stanza is an experimental kernel. I find it is easiest to have a /boot partition.

Hope I'm not telling you the obvious.

John

--
John Richard Smith