On Monday 28 July 2003 10:46 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 13:24, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > Has anyone installed two MLinux on two seperate HDs on the same comp and
> > figured out how to get lilo to read them both at boot? I am trying to do
> > it so that I can beta test and yet run the regular system when I am not
> > running tests. Any hints or manual suggestions are appreciated, I have
> > not found anything to help.
>
> It would truly be a matter of properly writting out the /etc/lilo.conf
> of the first installation; the first installation would write the lilo
> to the MBR of the first HD; then after you've done all that wonderful
> jazz and gotten your primary installation up and running, do a second
> installation on the "second" drive, but choose to NOT write lilo; then
> make note of the boot partition for the second installation and whatnot,
> and then write that into the /etc/lilo.conf on the first drive.

OK, I don't know for sure what I did differently this time but after two
reinstalls of both 9.1 and 9.2beta1 and three rewrites of lilo.conf I have a
viable lilo boot screen. The last time I rewrote lilo and then mounted the
/dev/hdc1 to /mnt/linux-0 and then did /sbin/lilo. I have no idea if there is
a need for this sequence or not. I also installed 9.1 on hda and in diskdrake
left hdc blank. Then when I went to install 9.2 on hdc I had a blank
partition table to write to. Also unknown if this was necessary. But it works
now.
Stubborn to a fault or just persistent, I prefer the latter when describing my
temperament. But it works!
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842