You guys have left out the user group and permissions thing..

If you DID get a virus of sorts on your system and you got it
while running an email client as your user login.

You can only trash your own files (Ie files you have permissions to access)
not the system files..

In windows, although 2000/XP is better then previous windows, it still
defaults
to making everyone an administrator with full access to everything.

So if you get a virus, it can trash the whole system if that what it was
written to do.

rgds

Franki