On Sunday August 24 2003 07:04 am, Lanman wrote:
> Since the release of 9.2 Beta2 I haven't heard or seen anything
> about it from anyone on the list. Is this because it's so amazing
> that list members are speechless?

    I've run cooker only since 7.2. Current cooker is solid, no
problems on a overclocked XP 3000+. 2266 Mhz on a KT400a chipset
with 512MB DDR 419, Cas2.5, R/C 2, preCh 2, 2-bank.  I don't have
or need a printer.  I highly suggest you read this site,
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/CookerHowTo

> Or because they can't finish an
> install, and are therefore disconnected from the "Net" ? I tried
> burning and installing them, and it quickly went to hell. Several
> restarts later (this is the short version), I got to the end of
> the install. When it tried to detect my printer (Brother
> MFC4800), which is not supported by Linux yet, it displayed a
> message that it was unable to find "printer.rpm" and stopped
> there. That's it. All done. It simply wouldn't go any further.
> I'm considering re-doing the install without a printer attached
> to see if that solves it, but without the above-noted rpm, I
> doubt it will finish properly at all. Obviously, either the rpm
> is not on the CD's at all, or the path statement used by the
> installer is wrong. Either way, it's not happening.

    Get a connection and use urpmi to update to current. I'd
recommend you first 'urpmi urpmi', then urpmi --auto-select. I use
this alias to update several times a day, alias cook='urpmi.update
-a -f --wget && urpmi --wget --no-verify-rpm --auto-select -v'
    I'd also suggest you install the current kernel ASAP,
$ uname -r
2.4.22-0.7mdk

    Mirrors have been screwed up lately, but since Sat. (8/23)
they're in order again.  OTOH, RC1 was due last Friday. Look for it
to come out very soon (probly why the mirrors were froze ;)
  ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-iso/i586
I suspect if you update to current, you'll have RC1

> Any suggestions or similar situations out there in Mandrake-Land?
> I realize that it's a Beta, and that there may be bugs in it
> still, but perhaps there's a work-around? Also, didn't Mandrake
> announce that the new 2.6 Kernel would be added to Beta2? Didn't
> find it. FYI, I checked the md5sums of course. Just curious if
> anyone had something to offer about any of this ?
>
> Thanks in Advance,...
>
> Lanman

    Only issue I've had lately is with DM's. None of the Session
Managers wanna work properly for me. So I boot to level 3 and
'startx'. Nobody else is complainin so I reckon I've got a borked
config file. Level 3 is better for testing overclocking with
mprime-17 and burnK7 tho anyhow ;)

    You didn't say anything about your hardware, other than your
tree killer ;>  Some things like nforce2 chipsets have issues.
Check the cooker ML archive (or LKML).
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&r=1&w=2   has a good
search engine. IMO, runnin cooker requires daily reading of the
cooker and CHRPM (change log) lists. If your printer is still a
problem, post to the cooker list, and if need be file a bug report
on bugzilla. Hurry every chance you get, it's gettin late in the
9.2 testing stages.