On Sunday August 24 2003 09:59 am, David E. Fox wrote:
> >     I've run cooker only since 7.2. Current cooker is solid, no
> > problems on a overclocked XP 3000+. 2266 Mhz on a KT400a
> > chipset
>
> It's *pretty* solid. There are still some issues I'm
> experiencing. One is the timezone drift in kde's clock - my time
> zone is 5 hours off. I have retried the fix multiple times with
> no luck. The best approach seems to be to restart KDE. It is
> getting better. With the last urpmi, it lasted nearly the whole
> weekend and then all of a sudden it's five hours off. It thinks
> I'm in SSY+ time now. If I try to adjust it the closest I can get
> to my time zone is your time zone :). Maybe I should move to
> Texas? :) ;)
>
> I think I got that one reported to Cooker bugzilla recently.

    Do you have your time set correctly in bios? Do you run ntpd ?
I have no time issues with 9.2 over two differnet sets of hardware
(motherboard clock RTC chipsets). http://www.ntp.org/ has a list of
time servers, ntp is in cooker (ntp-4.1.2-1mdk) I use, tick.uh.edu
(U of Houston, Central time). You'll need to have your time set
fairly close before ntpd can sync it with a server's atomic clock.
It uses a calculus algorithm to correct the error half at a time,
eventually approaching an exact sync. (n/2 > 0)

[root /tom] $ service ntpd status
ntpd (pid 1795) is running...    I have a dynamic IP, an I shut the
connection off every once in awhile to get a different IP (for
security sake). ntpd doesn't complain when the connection's not up.

> Then you might not have noticed bug #2, which I think is a show
> stopper. I can't print. Printing here results in launching a Perl
> process (used to be parallel:/dev/lp1, there also was a 'gs'
> process) that will just eat all RAM & swap. Since you have 512
> megs of RAM yours might not fall over like mine, but there's no
> indication that the Perl is not requesting infinite memory.

    I don't have a printer. No problems here ;)

> > > the install. When it tried to detect my printer (Brother
> > > MFC4800), which is not supported by Linux yet, it displayed a
> > > message that it was unable to find "printer.rpm" and stopped

> Also, noatun and kaboodle no longer function. They haven't for
> some time. OK, so there are other sound programs to use.

    They work fine here. Onboard AC97 5.1 surround sound, uses alsa.
I did recently havt'a start usin aRts to play QT (Sorenson) .mov's
(mplayer -ao  arts <file.mov>). That's a latest mplayer issue tho.
The latest alsa in cooker works fine for everything else. MOF, I'm
impressed.

> Then there are the random unexplained seg faults in konqueror,
> and in k3b (coastered cds.)

    I wouldn't touch k3b with a ten foot pole. 'Sides, the CL is
quicker an easier for burnin CDr's than any GUI app. No problems
here. If you're stuck in a GUI, try simplecdrx. It won't fsck'up
your fstab like k3b wants to, and can.

   Sig11's point as much to hardware (ram) as anything else. So
eliminate that first. Memtest86 is OK, but not a ram test. It uses
cpu/cache/ram (L1 & L@ cpu caches and the ram).  Run it without the
caches enabled ('c' for configure) to try and get closer to
checking installed ram. mprime is a better, harder cpu/cache/ram
test. Choose 17, the torture test. It should just keep on chuggin
along, no errors.

> LX brought this up last weekend: How are you supposed to be able
> to make a boot disk in cooker 9.2? The kernel image is too damned
> big!

    Support for all the crazy hardware people go out an buy, then
see if it'll work on Linux. Instead of the other way around. If
you're not usin XFS, then you should be able to compile a trimmed
down kernel and 'mkbootdisk $(uname -r)'. But why?... the first CD
provides rescue functions. I haven't bothered with a boot floppy in
ages. 'Sides my ancient floppy drive died some time ago anyhow ;)

> Most of this admittedly belongs on cooker's list but I haven't
> subscribed to it. I subscribed to changelog though.

   That's you're first mistake IMO. Read the cooker list, or at
least daily check the archive. Which takes more time to do than
just subscribin to an readin the list.

> >     Mirrors have been screwed up lately, but since Sat. (8/23)
> > they're in order again.  OTOH, RC1 was due last Friday. Look
> > for it
>
> Hmm. Well, I'm just running another urpmi.update -a & urpmi
> --auto-select just for good measure.

    Latest (synthesis)hdlist is 8/23, 9:23 AM on the primary mirror,
with no files missing. Cooker should be updated daily.

> > to come out very soon (probly why the mirrors were froze ;)
> >
> > ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-iso/i586
> > I suspect if you update to current, you'll have RC1
>
> RC1 is out? (yum)

   An educated conjecture on my part. I expect the iso's on mirrors
any time now. Probly by Mon. or Tues.  I'll let ya have first crack
at 'em ;) I'm already runnin RC1.