David E. Fox wrote:

I've run cooker only since 7.2. Current cooker is solid, no problems on a overclocked XP 3000+. 2266 Mhz on a KT400a chipset

It's *pretty* solid. There are still some issues I'm experiencing. One is the timezone drift in kde's clock - my time zone is 5 hours off. I have retried the fix multiple times with no luck. The best approach seems to be to restart KDE. It is getting better. With the last urpmi, it lasted nearly the whole weekend and then all of a sudden it's five hours off. It thinks I'm in SSY+ time now. If I try to adjust it the closest I can get to my time zone is your time zone :). Maybe I should move to Texas? :) ;)

I think I got that one reported to Cooker bugzilla recently.

Still, it's a relatively minor bug. The OS time is correct so I'm not
worried. I just have to glance at my watch every time I see the clock on
screen and say "oh yeah'.

with 512MB DDR 419, Cas2.5, R/C 2, preCh 2, 2-bank. I don't have or need a printer. I highly suggest you read this site,

Then you might not have noticed bug #2, which I think is a show stopper. I can't print. Printing here results in launching a Perl process (used to be parallel:/dev/lp1, there also was a 'gs' process) that will just eat all RAM & swap. Since you have 512 megs of RAM yours might not fall over like mine, but there's no indication that the Perl is not requesting infinite memory.

the install. When it tried to detect my printer (Brother
MFC4800), which is not supported by Linux yet, it displayed a
message that it was unable to find "printer.rpm" and stopped

That's been reported and is repeatable. The error message is a dialog box complaining about some missing printer-utils RPM. The bad news is that holds up the install. The good news is that you can shutdown and restart into a clean upgrade (more or less) at that point.

I haven't made interim ISOs so have no idea if an upgrade install
addresses the problem. I've been doing interim urpmi.update's on a
regular basis, at least twice a week.

Also, noatun and kaboodle no longer function. They haven't for some
time. OK, so there are other sound programs to use.

Then there are the random unexplained seg faults in konqueror, and in
k3b (coastered cds.)

LX brought this up last weekend: How are you supposed to be able to make
a boot disk in cooker 9.2? The kernel image is too damned big!

Most of this admittedly belongs on cooker's list but I haven't
subscribed to it. I subscribed to changelog though.

The OP should look at qa.mandrakesoft.com. The Cooker howto (while
useful) really doesn't address the OP's issues with it.

Mirrors have been screwed up lately, but since Sat. (8/23) they're in order again. OTOH, RC1 was due last Friday. Look for it

Hmm. Well, I'm just running another urpmi.update -a & urpmi --auto-select just for good measure.

to come out very soon (probly why the mirrors were froze ;)
ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-iso/i586
I suspect if you update to current, you'll have RC1

RC1 is out? (yum)

You didn't say anything about your hardware, other than your tree killer ;> Some things like nforce2 chipsets have issues.

Mine's rock solid. Been through the mprime torture test a few times, cpuburn OK, etc. Too bad it's only an athlon 1000 & 256 megs of RAM though.

Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas

David E. Fox Thanks for letting me

How, specifically, are you adjusting your time zones?

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
  AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.25mdkduron
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)