On Thursday 28 August 2003 09:55 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Care to tell us more?  My granddaughter's 1-year-old (win98) box
> suffers from recurrent problems, and I'm wondering if this test would
> help.  So - what's involved in running it, how risky is it, and what
> sort of reporting does it give?
>
> Anne

First, I'm not sure if cpuburn is available for Windows? As a pure 'Nix user I
just don't notice if software runs on more than 1 platform or not... :-(

Anyways, I was having recurrent spontaneous reboots. I mean you're setting at
the front of your computer, then wham! it shutsdown and goes thru all the
normal stuff when you bootup. Especially during games, but not just limited
to them. Many people on the list (including Tom) offered advice, and several
ways to test the hardware. The general consensus seems to be that you're much
better off ruling out hardware problems *first* before trying to track down a
software problem. Memtest, Mprime, cpuburn all check various parts of your
hardware.

Basically you just run cpuburn (there are different versions for different
cpu's) and let it go. If it can run for 20-25 mins on your machine without
locking up, you're in pretty good shape. If you can run it for an hour,
you're using a tank with brains. <grin>

If it locks up within a few minutes - you've got some problems somewhere, and
it my case - it turned out to be heat. I modded my case a bit, and now run
about 37c to 39c where I was running about 50c before. No more reboots. :-)

Hmm, did I send the you the picture where I made the changes? I can send you 3
offlist if you like. Just lemme know! :-)

--

                                                          /\
                                                Dark><Lord