Well I got a full health check from my supplier, and he also could
find nothing wrong with the hardware.  Since it could happen with
nothing at all open in windows and my granddaughter actually out of
the room it seemed fairly safe to say that it probably wasn't
software.  I checked out whether the power supply fan could be
blasting against a barrier, but that wasn't the problem, so I talked
to the tech guy about any other factors that I may have missed.  He
said that the only thing he could think of that I hadn't covered was
dirty power - possible spikes.  On checking I find she doesn't have
any surge protection fitted, so could it be the washing machine
changing to spin cycle?  I think it could, so it's out to buy surge
protection now.

All of this has made me wonder if it is something similar that's
causing my router box to go haywire, too.  That is not properly
protected either, so I guess it's time to go through the whole lan
and see what else isn't covered before I shop.

Just thought it might be a useful thought to anyone else
troubleshooting.

Anne