On 02 Sep 2003 19:22:05 -0400, ed tharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> as I read it (and IANL) they have the right to charge you forever and
> ever whatever they want. period. you took this software, and agreed to
> pay us for an upgrade and I ain't even sure you ever have the right not
> to, from then on, even if you don't use it ever again.

It's not quite like that.

  In the event that Microsoft offers a replacement or modified version of
  or any upgrade to the SOFTWARE, (a) your continued use of the SOFTWARE
  is conditioned on your acceptance of such replacement or modified
  version of or upgrade to the SOFTWARE and any accompanying superseding
  EULA...

in other words you have to explicitly accept a change to Messenger or
its EULA. As much as they'd love to, they can't just change it and mail
you an invoice.

Miark