On Wednesday 10 September 2003 12:55 am, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Dear all,
> I've been using Mdk for all my life. I love it.
>
> However, when our company called a software house to develop a web
> application using PHP + mysql, they said we should change our server from
> Mdk to RH.
>
> We haven't asked them in details for the reasons, but maybe you can help me
> here. What is exactly the difference between RH and Mdk, maybe in terms of
> security, directory structure, performance, etc? This thing really makes me
> confuse, because I understand that Mdk is the descendant of RH?
>
> Thanks,

>From what I have read, Mandrake is a more up-to-date flavor of Linux than Red
Hat.  Red Hat is geared toward the corporate enterprise market and
specifically for servers, Mandrake is more toward the consumer market and
specifically for desktops although it does a great job on servers.   Mandrake
is more likely to have updated applications and especially drivers for new
hardware and different types of hardware than Red Hat.  For instance, I would
expect to see updated drivers for sound and graphics cards on Mandrake first,
before Red Hat.  I would expect Red Hat to have drivers for things like RAID
devices and arrays or CD farms, first before Mandrake.

Companies tend to like Red Hat because it is more stable, updates are rolled
out less frequently and there is  more testing prior to new packages being
rolled out.  This does tend to make it more outdated but also more stable
which is usually more important to a company using a machine for a production
system.  Mandrake tends to have more current packages at the price of
slightly less stability since packages might not be tested quite as long
before being packaged and sent out.  For a consumer, having an up to date
application is probably more important than endless testing for minute
errata.

Before anyone flames, I use Mandrake at home and there are a few servers at
work that have Red Hat 9.  These are observations (anecdotal) based on my
experience.  As with anything that I say, YMMV.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer