On Thursday 04 September 2003 23:30, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> Next time, use VMWare; that will allow you to have an isolated and
> segregated Windows installation that cannot do damage to a system
> (because it lives in a sandbox)...

That's what I had win4lin for.....down the drain with /home that one!

Thing is win4lin (and vmware AFAIK) can't use more hardware than the
host-system provides......That's where it nags........Too cheap hardware and
ditto drivers. I even had my 3d prophet card with kyros II chips working fine
on the old install. Now I'm back on fbdev and 2D for the time being:o(

My last backup of /home is from 28/07/03 so that's not too bad considering 6
weeks away on holiday/work included. Losing the /usr is what really hurts,
especially the modules (and ditto src files) which couldn't have been
properly backed up anyway. At least I wouldn't know how if I wanted to.

Anyway, for once I'm not blaming Billy: that was the stooopid idiot at the
keyboard combined with the sloppy results diskdrake gives.
I've yet to see diskdrake create a partition table without errors.....but I
knew beforehand: I even rerember (obviously my personal maillist archives are
gone too) warning Anne to double check on diskdrake....
Oh well, still smacking my head on my (real wooden) desktop (with the family
'almost' aplauding)  so I'll start giving "autopsy" a serious try tomorrow
when the headache's gone and I'm not pining for a quick result.

I'll tread very, very wary with what's left of /dev/hdd from here. This isn't
hacking anymore, this is vivisection. If it weren't for the loss (time heals
all wounds:o)) this could be a fun or at the least a learning experience.

Good luck,
HarM