On Monday 22 September 2003 09:19 pm, Charlie M. wrote:

> September 22, 2003 06:51 pm, yankl wrote:
> > On Monday 22 September 2003 07:51 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:
> > > On 22 Sep 2003 06:41:39 -0400
> >
> > I think my point was not taken properly. I am sorry it probably my
> > English (it not even my second language more like fourth).
>
> My point was that (I'm accepting the language barrier but you seem to be
> doing amazingly well) a response such as that one would frighten most
> Windows refugees to death when they're already near to running for the
> hills. I hope you didn't take anything that I responded the wrong way. We
> need all of the help we can find around here and you *do* seem to know what
> you're doing AFAICS.
>
> > My point was  that people should make a research first and then try to
> > ask questions. By researching you find new tools and new way to do it. By
> > asking and replicating what other told you you box yourself in one
> > "correct way" and do not know that their are more way to do it.
>
>  I'll agree with that within the limitation that first we have to teach
> those people _how_ to find the answers. As with almost everything related
> to Open Source Software, there are many ways to do searches, many sources
> to do those searches. It always amazes me that so many people that I deal
> with daily have a hard time finding things on Google, but that doesn't mean
> I stop trying to teach them.
>
> > Man pages problem is not often in man pages writers, it is in man pages
> > users. Remember to get correct answer you must ask correct question. And
> > this mean techno talk, jargon, terminology and simple understanding of
> > what you are trying to do.
>
> This goes back to the fact that a newbie isn't going to know how to ask
> "intelligent questions" until they're taught. Can we agree on that?
>
> > I am not against community support. However, I think that teaching people
> > to understand how to get info from resources provided to them we could
> > help them more then just given them correct answer.
>
> Usually I'll post a link to more information when I answer a question. I've
> been a bit slack on that score recently due to time pressure; but that's
> *my* problem. If even half of those reading such responses click the links
> eventually they'll gain a glimpse of what's available.
>
> > My definition of m$users is people who do not think how to do something
> > but just know how to click. Other name I have for them is lifu "long
> > index fingers users".
>
> Really? I call those people politicians(1) usually. <g> MS users are people
> that in most cases have never had a reason to think anything else was
> possible.
>
> > Sorry for an other runt.
>
> OK, now I'm starting to wonder about those weak language skills you claim.
> In your signature you call yourself "Tiny IT guy" but that's three times
> that I remember you have used the word "runt" when the correct word is
> "rant." Unless it's an intentional pun of course. If it is; good one! :-)

> [...]

Thanks for correcting me, it is rant. The spell check some time can be an evil
creature.

I do not think that we need to embrace every person who like to switch to
linux. (I see the stones flying in my direction but bare with me for a
second) The *NIX OS is designed for responsible people, are we agree on this?

NT-2000-XP could be as good as *NIX (I see more stones flying in my direction)
but it have two major flows. First, every user is Administrator in the
system.Second, its make operation easy by hiding most of the backstage
operation from user. Why? Because it is easy OS, i.e., by doing this OS
writer eliminate situation where user would need to know underbelly of the
system.  The idea is that you do not need to know how staff ranning. In
opposite in *NIX to survive one need to know how things working and why they
working like this. Users who like to run easy OS and like to switch to *NIX
will force us to come to the same situation where by default we will try to
make a user life as easy as it can be. I see that trend in some kde tools.
For example do you know where is settings for mime types association is?  Now
tell me where is a file where this settings stored and what command is
responsible for update of this settings? One Russian general sad that if it
is difficult in training, it will be easy in a battle. So unless it is
emergency the response RFTM <u>could</> be a good one.

By the chance -k switch in man is key word switch. To find the man pages
related to some word.

--
Yankl
Tiny IT guy.