September 22, 2003 08:40 pm, yankl wrote:
[..]

> Thanks for correcting me, it is rant. The spell check some time can be an
> evil creature.

I was having a bit of fun Yankl.

<kidding>
The use of the word seemed possibly appropriate given that line in your
signature. ;)
</kidding>

> I do not think that we need to embrace every person who like to switch to
> linux. (I see the stones flying in my direction but bare with me for a
> second) The *NIX OS is designed for responsible people, are we agree on
> this?

Agreed with limits. Some "irresponsible" people may seem that way at first
blush, and may even be so. But everyone has the potential to grow so I think
all deserve a chance. One anyway. <g>

> NT-2000-XP could be as good as *NIX (I see more stones flying in my
> direction) but it have two major flows. First, every user is Administrator
> in the system.Second, its make operation easy by hiding most of the
> backstage operation from user. Why? Because it is easy OS, i.e., by doing
> this OS writer eliminate situation where user would need to know underbelly
> of the system.  The idea is that you do not need to know how staff ranning.
> In opposite in *NIX to survive one need to know how things working and why
> they working like this. Users who like to run easy OS and like to switch to
> *NIX will force us to come to the same situation where by default we will
> try to make a user life as easy as it can be. I see that trend in some kde
> tools. For example do you know where is settings for mime types association
> is?  Now tell me where is a file where this settings stored and what
> command is responsible for update of this settings? One Russian general sad
> that if it is difficult in training, it will be easy in a battle. So unless
> it is emergency the response RFTM <u>could</> be a good one.

Depends on your desktop environment. Are you after the mimetypes in;

/usr/bin
/usr/share
/usr/local

or over all? It's a long list. File associations for most people are found in
and changed in the GUI file manager. Some people do everything at the CLI
instead though. I don't have a preference myself, I'll use whatever strikes
my fancy at the moment.

Or did you just want /etc/menu-methods? Or in user space only?

I guess you haven't tried the Release Candidates for 9.2 then? Some of the
changes are leaning that way, even more than some of the things incorporated
into 9.1. There are a few details that I'll be changing and a few functions
I'll be adding back into my own install to get back to the "easy enough to
work with, *very easy to break*" that I've grown accustomed to. I can still
do whatever I've always been able to in Mandrake Linux, it's just not as easy
to do some things as it once was. As super user for example.

Smells like "protecting the noobs from themselves" and I find that slightly
distasteful.

It's their equipment, if they want to screw it up let them.

I will disagree however that RTFM is ever a good stand alone response. Some
people won't even know at first that there are such things. '"RTFM X part of
the manual" accessed by typing the following command in a terminal' would
probably always be appropriate however.

> By the chance -k switch in man is key word switch. To find the man pages
> related to some word.

Yes and how many that inhabit this list knew that before this thread (useful
as it probably has been) started? It's been an interesting discussion,
thanks. :)

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
21:21:07 up 2 days, 10:40, 1 user, load average: 0.62, 0.39, 0.30
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.
Every time.