RichardA wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:20:49 -0400, Brant Fitzsimmons
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The "--update" switch tells urpmi to update the system from the
*update urpmi source only*.

Examples:

"urpmi --updates --auto-select" will update everything from the *updates* urpmi source.

"urpmi --auto-select" will update the machine from *all* urpmi
sources.

Is it 'update', or 'updates'? I wonder if I did the wrong one because after I rebooted all hell broke loose. There were scary messages on boot. X loaded, but when I tried to log in, I was told /home didn't exist! (the message was something like 'you could try to use /root, but it won't work' ;).

An upgrade still had problems, so I re-installed (it's handy to have
/home is on a separate partition), reinstalled Sylpheed and everything
is exactly as it was, bar a few things in /etc.

If I got the update switch wrong, would updating from all sources
completely fubar my setup like that?

Richard

It is "--update". I apologize for the mistype in my example.

I don't think it would do anything at all if you typed in --updates. I believe it would exit and tell you that --updates is not a valid option.

As far as what has happened to your system...whether or not updating from all of your sources will fubar your system depends on what sources you have specified.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]