Many thanks

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Charlie M.
Sent: 23 September 2003 3:34:pm
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] urpmi --auto-select

September 23, 2003 06:06 am, Ken Walker wrote:

Hi Ken;

Before anything else, open a super user mode terminal, or in a root console,

type urpmi --help. You'll see the flags, syntax and what commands are
available and what they do.

> All i get when i run
>
> urpmi --update

urpmi.update -a -f <enter>

The flags are -a (all matches at the command line) -f (force)

> or
>
> urpmi --update --auto

urpmi --auto-select <enter>

unless you don't want to see the list of packages before install starts.
That's what the --auto flag does. As for the --update or --updates, it
really
isn't necessary since the only updates will be new package versions through
the update directory source you have set up.

> is 'everything already installed'
>
> when i know everything isn't installed :o( ( and that's from a LM8.2 and
> LM9 )

Check the software sources you have listed in urpm. The old versions of
Mandrake Linux have all been moved to the "mandrakeold" section of the
mirrors or some such for those that are still carrying the packages at all.
For example, the updates for 8.2 are available at:

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/8.2/RPMS

and for 9.0:

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS

The update packages are likely still available on many of the servers but I
know that one works since I used it yesterday to update friends' "data
server" for their home LAN.

> ps, if it did work, would it upgrade the kernel without giving me an
option
> not to ?
>
> Ken

I don't recall if 8.2 was the last release that would actually try to update
kernel, or the first that would install a kernel. Regardless, before doing
any of the automatic updates I would *strongly* recommend that you download
any update kernel and manually install using;

rpm -ivh kernel-version number <enter>

from a terminal as super user after navigating to the directory you saved
the
kernel in. That will install the new kernel alongside the existing one so
that you can still boot the old one if you have trouble. Then in the same
terminal (as insurance) type:

/sbin/lilo -v <enter>

To get lilo to add the kernel to the boot list.

 After that's done you can try the urpmi --auto-select again.

Good luck Ken;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
08:02:06 up 2 days, 21:21, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.07, 0.07
Microsoft Windows didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten
years of careful development.