On Sunday 28 September 2003 01:17, Derek wrote:
> On Saturday 27 Sep 2003 6:42 am, Lance Cummings wrote:
> >
> > ---8<---
> >

> > Next steps are fonts (which Charlie has kindly offered help
> > with) and sound.  Anybody know how to get sound (using an Asus
> > P4PE with Soundmax on board)?  (Feel free to change the subject
> > line if you reply to that.)
> >
> > Lance
>
> The easy way to get fonts is to install the microsoft fonts
> packages from Texstar
> Get Texstar defined as a urpmi source by following the url in my
> sig, and then use your Mandrake Software Installer to install the
> msfonts and msfonts-style packages.
> Thats it Done!

Looking forward to doing that and reporting.  Say what one will about
MS (and oh yes, a lot can be said), the fonts are not an issue.
Stuff is very readable and clean right out of the box.

> As for sound.
> If harddrake reports a driver is installed, then the chances are
> the sound is working, but your volumes are muted. Mdk 9.1 often
> installs with all the mixer levels muted.
>
> Adjust the levels with kmix, aumix, and alsamixer   (you will
> probably need to install th alsamixergui RPM)  One or more of them
> may be needed to unmute the sound.

Okay . . . I fired up kmix immediately from an xterm:

ERROR: kmix: Mixer cannot be found.
Please check that the soundcard is installed and that the soundcard
driver is loaded.

Four times it said that, faster than you can bat an eye.  ^_^

Then it produced the mixer, so it must have finally found it, or it
was just pulling my leg to see how I'd react.  ^_^

Things seem not muted according to the mixer, but still no sound.
Jean-Luc Ponty and Stephane Grappelli refuse to perform.  ^_^  This
is a letdown of major proportion.  I am opening a bottle of Chablis
to properly mourn.

Lance