On Tuesday 30 Sep 2003 8:43 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
SNIP
> Thank you Derek. I am a bit confused. SMC has a driver for Linux. I already
> installed it, and although in the installation some kind of file is not
> found, I get the confirmation: "setup ok" in the end. What I do not know is
> what to do with the driver or how to configure it. Do you think that I
> should use the driver at76c503a? I do not get the adapter detected as in
> the laptop. Thanks for taking the time to help me.
>
> Teilhard.

This table (http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/atmeldrv/usbtable.html )
reports that SMC has a driver for that device, but I have no experience of
using it. You might find it works fine. The big issue is 'has SMC configured
their driver to be usb hotpluggable?' Does the driver load when you plug in
the device?
You might have to enter
modprobe driver_name
before you can use it.
If that modprobe works then you could try configuring the interface with
iwconfig.

If you are not confortable with compiling a driver you could give the
atmelwlandriver built into Mandrake 9.1 a try. The problem I found with that
driver is it does not like some types of usb interfaces much, and usually
only works from a cold power up. It gets screwed up if you pull the usb cable
in and out.
There is a config file for the atmelwlandriver at /root/.vnetrc or you can try
setting it up by hand using iwconfig

You can check if a driver is getting loaded when you plug in the device by
looking at the system log
tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog
in a root terminal will display the last 50 lines of the system log.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net