On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:20:34 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> So does this leave us with a satisfactory position ?
> I'm not at all sure.

Of course not. It won't be satisfactory until all Political interference
in the affairs of software and the internet is strictly forbidden. The
internet is the last chance we have at a truly free market of ideas, as
Adam Smith envisioned it, and has been so extensively corrupted by
government protected monopolies like MS, the RIAA, and the MPAA.

> I'm curious as to why Europeans are not trying to get the principle of
>
> the GPL incorporated into European law. Wouldn't this be better than
> hedging around trying to determin what is patentable and what it not.

Absolutely. This should be the focus *everywhere*, so that we can prove
William Gibson wrong, and the future *will* be distribute evenly (see my
manifesto). However one might feel about Richard Stallman and his
ideology, the FSF, the GPL, and the like are the only things standing
between *our* vision of the internet as an extension of the human
nervous system for communication and exchange, and another Big Media
Enterprise.

Rest assured, I believe Information Will Be Free.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046