John Richard Smith wrote:
So does this leave us with a satisfactory position ?
I'm not at all sure.

No, it is not satisfactory - look again at the last 2 paragraphs of Caroline Lucas's message:

However, the draft Directive remains ambiguous and contradictory (articles 2 & 4 contradict each other, with the preamble contradicting the legal articles). As currently drafted I believe it will open the gate for software patents in the European Union, just as the Commission and UK government originally intended. It is for this reason that, after voting in favour of the amendments mentioned above, but I voted against the Directive as a whole.

Furthermore, and rather ominously, given our success in the Parliament,
the Commission may now withdraw the draft Directive and seek a
legislative route that does not involve democratic scrutiny. We must all
therefore remain alert and continue to campaign on this issue.

But at least the Green MEPs are aware of the situation, unhappy about it (as we are), and prepared to keep working on it. I've asked Caroline to keep me informed of developments. We now need to keep up the pressure on our MEPs - all of them, not just the Green ones!

Margot