HaywireMac wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:40:45 -0400
Michael Scottaline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

I'll look forward to seeing your letter. Will you sign it JH or
haywire? ;-) Best,
Mike

*If they print it...* Who knows where it will end up?

Assuming you haven't sent it off, here are a couple of my famous nit-picks ...

"operating system", *despite* the fact that most of the websites on the
Internet and most of the Internet's structure is built on Unix, Linux,
and other non-Microsoft platforms.

SAhould be "are", not "is".

The internet continues to function in

"Internet" needs a capital "I".

a useable manner day-to-day only because the non-Microsoft software that
it runs on is able to cope with the load that Microsoft vulnerabilities
generate.

Microsoft's corporate culture is characterized by inattention to
security, and has been for decades, not the hardware manufacturers, not
vendors of Unix products, not the Open Source community, only Microsoft.

That's a run-on sentence; the part after the "not" is not properly linked to the main clause.

restrictive licensing terms, but out of concern for their security. The U.S. govenment itself is turning to Linux to power it's most secure operations, such as the N.S.A.

Should be "its", not "its".

I would hope that Mr. Lohr, supposedly the author of this article, do
more and better research to get his facts straight in the future.

Should be "does", not "do", unless you're heavily into subjunctives.

Nit-picking aside, it's a very good letter, and I hope they publish it.

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533