It worked for me.

I installed Linux 9.0 on a brand new 60 gig HD then slaved my old 40 gig Win98 drive to that one, pointed Lilo to it and it booted just fine. My Win drive has since crashed altogether so I am totally Linux now.

I did my editing in MCC

Russ

I guess it means you better post your /etc/lilo.conf cause you don't
have the right hdyx (here y is a letter for the drive position on the
ide bus, and the x is a number for a partition. I don't think you are
gonna get win9x on without it being on the first partition of the
first drive on the first IDE bus, ie hda1 or maybe hda5.

I seem to remember something about Win9x insisting that it be first because of a nasty habit of rewriting the boot sector.