On Monday 27 October 2003 01:58 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 26 Oct 2003 10:35 pm, Damian Gatabria wrote:
> > On cooker list, every single release cycle
> > since i'm lurking on it, i see a thread starting
> > about a month before scheduled release
> > date. In this thread someone pleads for more
> > testing/time and to kick the release date
> > a little further into the future. The answer
> > to those posters is always the same:
> > "Bah, that was said also in the last cycle,
> > and it went OK, so we don't need another
> > beta. We don't need more time"
>
> Damian, I'm not expressing an opinion, just exploring.  It seems to me
> that the big question is 'why did this problem only surface so late
> in the pre-release cycle?'.  There must be some connection with the
> kind of people (their available equipment) who do the earlier stage
> testing.  The next question has to be 'how can a more representative
> sample of hardware be found during the testing phase?'.  Longer time
> isn't enough, I think, unless we can answer those questions.
>
> Anne
This may have been caught earlier if someone like me had been more experienced
and associated the death of the drives with the OS. I reasoned that since
they were OEM drives that the dealer had just recieved a  bad batch. Ones
with faulty capacitors or something. I did not get truly suspicious until the
dealers repair dept. rep indicated that I seemed to be the only one with the
problem.  That is when I came to the list and asked the question.  So, what I
am saying is unless someone at Mandrake had tested with a OEM LG CDROM of
recent vintage, they would have no way of knowing there was a problem.
All,,,, All other Brands  and CDRWs seem to be ok.
Now I know that a OS can fry electronic equipment, before I never would have
believed it was possible.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842