On Thursday 23 October 2003 06:47 pm, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

> OK, this is perhaps a little off-topic, but I am still a
> newbie.<g>
>
> What does this Linux user # thing mean?

This # thing on a command line is your root-prompt. From here you
can type in commands, somehow like this C:\> thing in another
OS. The similarity here is clear : when seeing this prompt you
have the power to destroy everything on your harddisk. So use
with care in linux. (In the other OS, it doesn't matter, it
selfdestructs anyway).

If, however, you want to do things from the command-line in
linux, you should see the $ sign, not the # . This indicates
that you are yourself (in a terminal &, try typing "whoami").
Now you can issue commands, scripts etc.. without the risk of
harming anything vital on your system.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*