I've changed the subject line, as someone has pointed out to me that
the word 'aborted' is causing the thread to be dropped by some mail
filters.

On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 11:57 am, Melissa Reese wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 3:22:05 AM PST, you wrote:
> > Select 'Custom disk partitioning'
> >
> > There you should see your two disks.  Choose the one you want for
> > install,
>
> Thanks Anne.  Here's a small update...
>
> This time around, I got to the next step of choosing the drive (and
> many other options for partitioning), and again I stopped...just to
> be safe. There were two tabs ("hda" and "hdb"), and the second tab
> did look like the 20 GB drive I want to install Mandrake onto (it
> said "18 GB", and Win98/Fat32, etc., which did describe pretty
> accurately my 20 GB drive). However... The first tab ("hda") looked
> peculiar. It said "Empty", then "7.8 MB", and a couple other things
> which seemed to indicate that it wasn't recognizing my 80 GB drive.

I'm not sure what you are seeing there.  Is your 20 GB drive
partitioned?  I'm surprised at the 'empty', though I wonder if this
is what you see if you  have one of those boxes where the rescue
image is on a hidden sector.  Perhaps someone else knows?

> Why would the installation not see this properly? Should I even
> worry about this if I'm quite sure of "hdb" being my 20 GB drive?

If you're quite sure, then no, you don't need to worry.  You are not
going to write anything to that drive anyway.

> In any event, I'm going to do more reading in the starter guide and
> also look at more online tutorials, then I think I'll still have my
> tech friend come here to supervise my installation. I guess I just
> don't feel quite enough confidence yet to do this entirely by
> myself.

Fair enough.  At least, though, you have had a look, and will be
prepared with questions about what you are seeing - no bad thing <g>

> Thanks for you help.  I'll be back! :-)

You're welcome.

Anne
--