Dimitar Haralanov wrote:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:59:44 +1300
Sharrea Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:53, John Richard Smith wrote:

et wrote:

On Friday 05 December 2003 11:49 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

I cann't even get into bios, that is the problem. By flash I guess

you>mean reset the bios and make it redetect ?

John

I might add that I do have power supply , it seems like everything that needs it is getting power,though since I cannot get into bios

I>cannot tell what may be dead.

If I had harddrive failure you would still be able to get into

bios>If I have monitor failure  , that could be a possibility,
though it>does say "no signal" and the neon led lights up, which to
my mind>indicates it wants to work.

If I had a graphic's card failure I ought to be able to get into
bios at least ?
If Mobo then I guess it has to be a real possility. Anything there
could block my access to bios for instance ??

John

I think I have found the problem.

My graphics card , gforce3 has a small fan on it and it's hardly
turning at all. I bet that is the problem, can one buy

replacements?>

John

yes. send us a picture of the fan you get for it. however, while I
ain't
sure about your particular card, I do know some fans have a
control circuit that makes the fan run faster when there is more
heat. I still think you need to blow out the power supply fan.

At the moment I don't have an OS that can handle my camera.

I've bought a new fan (12v , they don't have the exact same voltage
as the Gforce3 card(2.1v)and plugged it into the main 12v supply,
not ideal, though it whirls up nicely.The fan goes by the name of
Crystal Orb p/n A1178 and fits the apperture and seating quite
nicely . However I'm still stuck as it won't boot even past the
bios. Keyboard is dead, though optical mouse lights up. I'm
wondering whether Geforce3 has heat detection, and I need to somehow
kick the bios into starting again.

So I'd better investigate the power supply next .I will have it all
out and clean it up.

Yep, if you've got another PSu to swap in, try that (or borrow one). My next bet would be the motherboard.

About six months ago I had a similar problem and I could still hear
the fan whir on the PSU. Didn't have a power supply with enough grunt
to try on my system (and all my friends have old PCs with 200W PSUs). So I pulled the PSU and joined 2 wires to see if the fan was working
properly as someone suggested. The fan worked no problem so I assumed
the next thing to try was motherboard. Bought a new motherboard only
to find that it WAS indeed the PSU!!! So, in short, even if the PSU
fan is working, doesn't mean that enough power is supplied to your
system.

THEN, only just two months ago, a friend's PC did the same thing.  I
tried my PSU in her PC and it worked no probs, so I bought another PSU
for her - only to find that it was the bl**dy motherboard!

Good luck!

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today

        If you think that the PSU does not have enough power to drive your
computer, unplug everything (harddrive, cdrom, floppy, etc.) and try
again. Even a 200W CPU should be able to drive just a motherboard,
memory, and a video card.
        If that does not work, I would suggest checking the memory. If the
memory is bad, nothing will happen (you won't even get anything on the
screen). However, usually if you have a memory problem you will get some
kind of a beep from the PC speaker, which reminds me: usually
motherboards issue beeps when something is wrong prior to loading the
BIOS. Different number of beeps for different things. Your MB manual
should have a list of what different number of beeps mean.

I hope this helps

Seems to be the power supply , so I'm after a new one, hopefully more reliable one, but maybe I'm going to have to think more seriously about surge protectors if they are any good.Either that or buy a spare.

John

John