On Friday 05 December 2003 08:46 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Seems to be the power supply , so I'm after a new one,
> hopefully more reliable one, but maybe I'm going to have to
> think more seriously about surge protectors if they are any
> good.Either that or buy a spare.
>
> John

     Get an Antec if you can. If not, consult the AMD list for
approved manufacturers, even for use with an Intel system.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^4376,00.html
A cheap PSU is false economy. Be aware tho that many ready made
systems use proprietary connectors and power requirements, and
you're stuck going to them for a replacement PSU.

   Now why did the old one fail? Well sometimes they do, but many
are affected as much or more by insufficient line power as by
power spikes. Better PSU's have their own built-in protection.
You can check line power easily with a VOhm meter, just stick the
leads into the wall outlet you're using during periods when your
neighbors are using a lot of power. Another occurance is when
something like the A/C, furnace, or the refridgerator kicks in.
The fix is to use an UPS. They are not only better at protecting
from spikes than surge protectors are, they also protect against
'brownouts'. Providing steady clean power. Consider an UPS as
protecting all your hardware, not just the PSU.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas