On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 9:19 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

> No problem there it seems , so far all of those available in UK
> seem to be identicle.

John - just a thought.  Overclockers tend to need to be ultracareful.
Have you tried looking at overclockers.com to see if they
sell/recommend anything?

> >   Now why did the old one fail? Well sometimes they do, but many
> >are affected as much or more by insufficient line power as by
> >power spikes.
>
> Is that so, now that may explains a lot.
> My computer was downloading all by itself and when I came back it
> was knackered.

We had a lot of problems where clocks etc seemed fine, where I believe
that the problem was very short-lived power drops.  Even cheap surge
protectors seem to help in that case.

> >Another occurance is when
> >something like the A/C, furnace, or the refridgerator kicks in.
>
> Well we have plenty of equipement that kicks in and out , like
> fridges, freezers, so there is a possibility

I know for a fact that some problems we had was when the washing
machine started up spin cycle.  That's a momentary big drain on
power.  Again, surge protectors on systems have helped there.  I
can't afford usp units for every box, but every box has some kind of
protection, according to how vital the system is.  Only two boxes
(funnily enough, the two Mdk boxes) have a ups :-).

British power companies do pretty well for general equipment's needs,
but computers are more delicate, and after troubleshooting problems
like yours for a long time, I've come to the conclusion that they are
simply not good enough without a little help.  It's then just down to
how affordable you can make that protection.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302