Anne Wilson wrote:

On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 9:19 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

No problem there it seems , so far all of those available in UK
seem to be identicle.

John - just a thought. Overclockers tend to need to be ultracareful. Have you tried looking at overclockers.com to see if they sell/recommend anything?

Now why did the old one fail? Well sometimes they do, but many
are affected as much or more by insufficient line power as by
power spikes.

Is that so, now that may explains a lot.
My computer was downloading all by itself and when I came back it
was knackered.

We had a lot of problems where clocks etc seemed fine, where I believe that the problem was very short-lived power drops. Even cheap surge protectors seem to help in that case.

Is that so, could be then that is what happened with me, I certainly felt it to be powersupply failure at the immediate time it happened.

Another occurance is when
something like the A/C, furnace, or the refridgerator kicks in.

Well we have plenty of equipement that kicks in and out , like
fridges, freezers, so there is a possibility

I know for a fact that some problems we had was when the washing machine started up spin cycle. That's a momentary big drain on power. Again, surge protectors on systems have helped there. I can't afford usp units for every box, but every box has some kind of protection, according to how vital the system is. Only two boxes (funnily enough, the two Mdk boxes) have a ups :-).

Yes, and now that I've had time to think about it, I remember putting the Kettle on for my early morning cup of coffee, and it must of been right about that moment when the computer crashed. What's the betting if caused enough of a surge, or voltage drop to throw the PSU in it's unprotected state.

British power companies do pretty well for general equipment's needs, but computers are more delicate, and after troubleshooting problems like yours for a long time, I've come to the conclusion that they are simply not good enough without a little help. It's then just down to how affordable you can make that protection.

Clearly , it's about whether I want to,
a) UPS my attic power supply, running 3 computers, and surge protect only the one.
b) surge protect all 4 computers, no ups.
c) just accept the risks.

But taking the first option ,
How big an UPS do I need to protect a ring main running 3 computer, 2 printers and say 12 other minor devices like externel modems, calculators, yamaha sound keyboards,etc, et al.

I come back to the question, what is an UPS ?
How does it fit in,

I assume an UPS is basically a battery and a control device to make it all work.
I have never heard of a 250V battery, so how is 250v stored ?
Do you just plug the UPS in to the ring main ?
Or do you have to break into the ring main circuit and install it in some way ?

Or is this all wrong ?

Maybe the mains 250V is transformed into 12v, 5v,and 3.3v and sored like that and supplied to the mobo in the same way as the PSU does, in which case, how do you effect a connection to your mobo ? I only have the one socket on my mobo, and that's used by the PSU.

Sorry to ask all these very elimental questions, but I have never ever seen an UPS before let alone installed one. So far the net has yielded little info about them other than where to buy then, and defining the term, UPS.

John.

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]