Tuesday 09 December 2003 1:13 pm, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
> On December 9, 2003 11:50 am, Charlie Mahan wrote:
> <snip>???? or <axe...>?
>

> OK I tried what you said, using the terminal and was successful in adding
> main as a source,  I got stuck when trying to install the kernel_source.  I
> got:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]# urpmi --wget kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk

Leave out the version numbers Paul. Just:

urpmi --wget kernel-source

> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake/updates
>/9.2/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm

Yeah well it's there:

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS

Try this, in that su terminal run the command:

urpmi.update --wget -acf

and then try the kernel source installation command above again. Let me know?

That update command uses the wget flag 'cause a lot of times curl will fail
and tells you nothing when it does so. Wget tries harder and "better."

 Also I added the -acf flags which means "all listed sources, clean headers,
force update." OK?

> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/kerne
>l-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm Installation failed, some files are missing:
>
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/./ker
>nel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm You may want to update your urpmi database
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]#
>
> Similarly when I try the GUI I get a message that the file has a missing
> signature and can't open the file even if I say to ignore the error   :-(

The update command should take care of that missing signature crapola. Is the
kernel source the only listed update you haven't installed? RPM was updates
recently along with a few other major 'drake utilities. I'd have a good look
at the list in rpmdrake under the "by update availability>upgradable" heading
after the command runs.

> I'm right back at square one....

Not quite, at least you now have a valid source for things left off the
download version due to disk space limitations. We can fix this Paul, just be
patient with your helpers and yourself, all right?

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
13:22:06 up 1 day, 2:20, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.18, 0.17
May you have many handsome and obedient sons.