Baby steps....

OK let me see if I am grasping what we are doing here.  Hope this isn't too
long winded but I'd like to know vaguely what I'm doing here...

urpmi.removemedia main

then:

urpmi.addmedia main
ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
with ../base/hdlist.cz

removed the
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm

site as a source for updates then added
ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
instead?

If I understand this correctly I now have my Cd's (copied to the hard drive
and added as a local source for convenience) and the two directories on
ftp://mirrors.secsup.org for main and update_source as more up to date
repositories....

then:

urpmi.update --wget -acf  updated my URPMI database...?

I went ad installed two rpm updates I found listed where you suggested in
rpmdrake under the "by update availability>upgradable"

so far so good....

at this point I found two kernel-source packages available in in rpmdrake
under the "Mandrake choices":

kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk and kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.  I assume these two
are available because they match two of the kernels I have (side by side?)
Installing kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk was then successfully!! Hooray -
definitely making progress here.... however I still get the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]# urpmi --wget kernel-source

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm
Installation failed, some files are missing:

ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/./kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm
You may want to update your urpmi database

even after doing urpmi.update --wget -acf which produces a lot of responses,
including the lines:

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.update_source.cz]
built hdlist synthesis file for medium "update_source"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
found 2707 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]#

If I run the NVIDIA installer now, do I need to boot to 2.4.22-10mdk instead
of 2.4.22-21mdk to do it, and will that mean I still can't use accelerated
graphics with the 2.4.22-21mdk kernel?

As a side note it took 6 reboots and y to 'check file integrity' with repeated
hangings to successfully boot to the new kernel.  Is there some other bug fix
or update I need to do to get the newer kernel working?  I am running an AMD
Athalon 2500 with 1024MB RAM and a GeForce FX5200 AGP on an 'ASUS A7N8X
Deluxe' mainboard.

I do appreciate the patience of my helpers, I'd be lost without your help.
Baby steps....

--
Paul O'Rorke

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (school)