Tuesday 09 December 2003 11:56 pm, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
> Baby steps....
>
> OK let me see if I am grasping what we are doing here.  Hope this isn't too
> long winded but I'd like to know vaguely what I'm doing here...
>
> urpmi.removemedia main
>
> then:
>
> urpmi.addmedia main
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
> with ../base/hdlist.cz

Yeah, that'll work. The effect of both commands is to reconfigure urpmi by
removing one software source and adding a different one. One that's closer
geographically but may not be any better than the rediris mirror I first gave
you for speed etc, but is at least on the same side of the ocean and doesn't
link/redirect through a server in Spain. Confused yet? <g>

> removed the
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrake/updates
>/9.2/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm site as a source for updates
> then added

That's not a source, that's a URL to a specific package in the proper
directory in the updates tree on the ibiblio.org mirror. Think about what
you're trying to add as a "source" here Paul. What you want is the entire
updates directory for 9.2 from the Mandrake/updates/9.2/i586/RPMS part of the
"tree." OK? That's what you have above for main. Now you need it for updates.

> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
> instead?

Close. You're missing something though. See below and then try this:

urpmi.removemedia updates

Are you sure you want to do this from the command line? It may be easier for
you to work with the GUI software manager. I'll still show you the command to
add the mirror.secsup updates source but you may not be able to click the
Mandrake Update icon in the Mandrake Control Centre after 'cause of whatever
glitch that was that I posted about earlier. That's OK, you can still do
everything from the command line or from rpmdrake. I'll detail the GUI method
again below just in case.

That mirror isn't totally up to date by the way. It seems none are, all were
last synchronized on the 8th. Check for status here:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php

The command to add that mirror to software sources:

urpmi.addmedia update_source
ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with
../base/hdlist.cz

should get you where you want to be. Now, if you have the .21mdk kernel
installed you shouldn't try to install the NVidia drivers against the older
(release) kernel. That won't work with the new one but if you boot to the
original (.10mdk) kernel it should. You have to install the driver module for
every kernel you have installed or you'll get bitten.

> If I understand this correctly I now have my Cd's (copied to the hard drive
> and added as a local source for convenience) and the two directories on
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org for main and update_source as more up to date
> repositories....

Good planning. I just rsync the entire current release and cooker trees
locally, but I may have too much disk space. (-;

The reason for main source linking to the tree on the mirror is that the disks
weren't complete "copies" of the 9.2 release. Not enough space for that. Now
that you've added it you have access to a lot more packages for 9.2 than you
could get on disks. There's also contrib which is a whole other pile of
available packages but we can do that another time.

 The reason for update_source is self explanatory; bug fixes, security fixes,
version updates.

> then:
>
> urpmi.update --wget -acf  updated my URPMI database...?

Yes.

> I went ad installed two rpm updates I found listed where you suggested in
> rpmdrake under the "by update availability>upgradable"

> so far so good....

Good.

> at this point I found two kernel-source packages available in in rpmdrake
> under the "Mandrake choices":
>
> kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk and kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.  I assume these
> two are available because they match two of the kernels I have (side by
> side?) Installing kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk was then successfully!! Hooray
> - definitely making progress here.... however I still get the following:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]# urpmi --wget kernel-source
>
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/kerne
>l-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm Installation failed, some files are missing:
>
> ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/./ker
>nel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm You may want to update your urpmi database

This is exceedingly strange Paul. That kernel is there, I just tried the link
and it downloaded. Or would have if I hadn't cancelled it. I don't need two
copies of it, and I already have one in my local 9.2 tree.

> even after doing urpmi.update --wget -acf which produces a lot of
>
> examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.update_source.cz]
> built hdlist synthesis file for medium "update_source"
> examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]
> found 2707 headers in cache
> removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
> write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ororkep]#

That looks correct but I'm wondering if this is caused by the lists on the
server being out of date. Look in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and see if the
package downloaded. If so let me know. We'll _make_ the damned thing install.
If not let me know about that too.

Just for grins'n'giggles try this command _exactly._

urpmi.update --wget -acf && urpmi --auto-select

See what it tells you needs to be updated. I'm curious.

> If I run the NVIDIA installer now, do I need to boot to 2.4.22-10mdk
> instead of 2.4.22-21mdk to do it, and will that mean I still can't use
> accelerated graphics with the 2.4.22-21mdk kernel?

Hold off on running the NVidia installer until we get the rest of this sorted
Paul. You don't need more grief here, do you? It seems unlikely. (-:

> As a side note it took 6 reboots and y to 'check file integrity' with
> repeated hangings to successfully boot to the new kernel.  Is there some
> other bug fix or update I need to do to get the newer kernel working?  I am
> running an AMD Athlon 2500 with 1024MB RAM and a GeForce FX5200 AGP on an
> 'ASUS A7N8X Deluxe' mainboard.

It shouldn't have been that bad but you did say you're using the download
edition of 9.2 didn't you? No proprietary drivers for that, all GPL only.
We'll work that out later. Tune ups can wait until we're sure we ain't gonna
go boom.

The repeated hangs may be simply because you don't have the 'correct' nvnet
drivers and the system is trying to "best guess" itself into operation with
what it has. I had that problem last week on a new system assembled for
someone. Asus A7N8X-X board with an Athlon XP 3200+. I only installed 512 MB
of memory though, and an ATI 9200SE 128 MB card. Close, but not quite.

Then I remembered that I had all the NVidia stuff on a drive I had with me.

> I do appreciate the patience of my helpers, I'd be lost without your help.
> Baby steps....

Patience is a virtue, right? I have very little of that (virtue) but a lot of
patience. I wonder how that works. <g>

Peace;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
00:00:53 up 1 day, 12:59, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.50, 0.72
Did an Italian CRANE OPERATOR just experience uninhibited sensations in
a MALIBU HOT TUB?