On Thursday 18 Dec 2003 10:44 pm, Lee wrote:
> I mounted a large drive on /usr/images. I then set up Samba and changed
> the ownership of /usr/images to be my user account as owner (chown
> myuser:myuser images)
>
> After doing a backup or a file copy to this folder from my WinXP machine,
> the ownership of /usr/images changes back to 'root'. Thus I get an access
> denied error.
>
> Next, I remounted the drive as /var/images (and reconfigure Samba) and I
> don't have the problem. Ownership stays put as my user account...
>
> Can someone explain what's going on here?

Its called 'security' You may not have heard of it if you have been using
Windows.

Mandrake runs a script hourly called 'msec' to ensure that your box is secure
to prevent it being compromised. One of the checks it does is to ensure that
the ownership of files is secure. Everything in /usr ought to belong to root.
So if you change anything then msec will change it back again.
If you want to override msec for this folder then you can use the drakperm
security GUI in Mandrake Control Centre. The manual describes it here
http://www.mandrakeclub.com/docs/9.2/en/Drakxtools-Guide.html/drakperm.html

and you can read more about msec here
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/msec.php

derek