On Saturday 20 December 2003 07:16 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> Here's where msec comes in : I always wonder why the Mandrake
> default is "standard".  First thing to do after a new
> install/upgrade is to set security level to "high".  But that
> is only a matter of keeping  the users privacy, not the
> system's.

     I believe 'standard' is the right choice, but you are given
the opportunity during the install to set it to whatever you
want.  IMO, it's a good idea to leave it at standard till you
have used the system for a while before raising it. Even for a
multi user or server system. I also think it's a good choice for
users that don't bother to further explore Linux permissions and
security in general.  They should leave it at standard. It's
especially suited to a single user desktop. Permissions do little
to protect from the outside world anyhow, for that you need
iptables and firewall rules.  I think some users, specially the
new ones confuse the two, msec/permissions vs. firewall/ports
security.

    Another reason Mandrake's default is standard, is to tryin
reduce the "How come I can't _______________" support questions.
If I were to criticse Mandrake, it would be for not installing
iptables by default when a lan and/or Net connection is
configured during the install.  I think a very simple firewall
rule generator like Guarddog would be a good default choice too.
Point'n click fairly intuitive setup for iptables, even for those
very new to Linux and security.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas