On Thursday 18 December 2003 02:44 pm, Lee wrote:
> I mounted a large drive on /usr/images. I then set up Samba and changed
> the ownership of /usr/images to be my user account as owner (chown
> myuser:myuser images)
>
> After doing a backup or a file copy to this folder from my WinXP machine,
> the ownership of /usr/images changes back to 'root'. Thus I get an access
> denied error.
>
> Next, I remounted the drive as /var/images (and reconfigure Samba) and I
> don't have the problem. Ownership stays put as my user account...
>
> Can someone explain what's going on here?

That is msec at work.  For the record, the entire /usr directory (and /usr
subdirectories) should be owned by the root user.  If you understand linux
security, and don't want to use msec at all (I HATE msec), you can turn it
off (as root) by editing the name of the msec executable in /sbin  --
changing the executable from "msec" to "DISABLEmsec".   That will stop msec
from running and replacing your permissions with what it feels are the proper
ones for your directories.  CAUTION:  You should have an understanding of the
workings of security and permissions if you disable msec.