I am not advising everyone to turn off msec, but some people actually want to
shut it off and they don't know how, and trying to uninstall msec gives a lot
of dependency problems that you don't want to deal with.  If you completely
understand your system and it's security, and if you know what permissions
you actually want on your directories, you can turn it off.  If you or your
family are the only ones using your system, and you are effectively walled
off from outside intrusion, there are times when you want to keep shares for
all users in place.  You can write a perms.local file, or turn off msec--it
is your choice.  The beauty of Linux is that you get a choice.  That also
allows you to make bad choices, but the choice is the user's responsibility.
Msec takes away some user responsibility and makes the permissions choices
for you.  Some users love it, and some (like me) hate it.  Without msec my
system is still secure, and my opinion is that knowledgeable users with home
systems don't really need to run it.

JMO--make your own choice.

e.