On Sunday 21 December 2003 14:15, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2003 07:16 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Here's where msec comes in : I always wonder why the Mandrake
> > default is "standard".  First thing to do after a new
> > install/upgrade is to set security level to "high".  But that
> > is only a matter of keeping  the users privacy, not the
> > system's.
>
>      I believe 'standard' is the right choice, but you are given
> the opportunity during the install to set it to whatever you
> want.  IMO, it's a good idea to leave it at standard till you
> have used the system for a while before raising it. Even for a
> multi user or server system. I also think it's a good choice for
> users that don't bother to further explore Linux permissions and
> security in general.  They should leave it at standard. It's
> especially suited to a single user desktop. Permissions do little
> to protect from the outside world anyhow, for that you need
> iptables and firewall rules.  I think some users, specially the
> new ones confuse the two, msec/permissions vs. firewall/ports
> security.
>
>     Another reason Mandrake's default is standard, is to tryin
> reduce the "How come I can't _______________" support questions.
> If I were to criticse Mandrake, it would be for not installing
> iptables by default when a lan and/or Net connection is
> configured during the install.  I think a very simple firewall
> rule generator like Guarddog would be a good default choice too.
> Point'n click fairly intuitive setup for iptables, even for those
> very new to Linux and security.

Well Tom, undoubtedly you are right. However, I've never noticed any
limitations when having msec=high. The advantage is, that having
multiple users on one machine, each one can have a "home" without
fear of being disturbed by the others. For example, on my main
machine I have a "guest" account used by neighbors without
Internet. They can happily click around without doing any harm
whatsoever to others.

On the other hand, setting msec=higher, excludes me from doing a lot
of things, can't even go outside my "home".

Of course, all this can be accomplished "by hand", but I find msec
quite reasonable.

Now, if only I could find out how to "stealth" my ports  :-(

Kaj Haulrich.
--
** Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer **