The kernel not being able to work correctly with over 850mb is most likely reason it only stated I was using around 850mb when there was 1024mb enabled. That is not the reason the physical memory is being used so much. I have had memory problems a couple of times. Not with this system, with another. Memory can easily cause a problem with the os or an application or another peice of hardware. The system I am using is fully compatible.

There is still a memory problem with the 512mb installed. It is possible the memory is causing the problem, although I want to check if a memory configuration problem is causing the problem before I would buy more memory. The chance of it being another issue besides the memory is pretty high. Will somebody tell me how to correct the problem or ways to try and fix the problem if they know?
From,
Steven

From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Physical memory is to high.
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:53:58 +0000

On Sunday 28 December 2003 08:39, Steven Nelson wrote:
> The computer states that I am using, physical memory is to high. I

Steven, there are two issues here.  First, when you had 1024MB RAM
installed you should have been using the Enterprise kernel - built to
correctly handle ram over around 850MB

Second - linux handles memory very differently from windows, which
tends to cause panic in newbies - I remember the feeling :-)  In fact
it uses every scrap of memory available to it as and whenit needs it.
It is much better than windows though in detecting the need to let go
of something when it needs to make space.

Although it looks alarming I have never heard of anyone running into
actual difficulty through memory use, assuming that they had enough
installed to get a system running :-)

HTH

Anne
--