On Sunday 28 Dec 2003 8:39 am, Steven Nelson wrote:
SNIP
>The disk buffers are changing
> in between 14.15mb-14.20mb and disck cache is staying at 306.79 (during
> using the computer in the current session regulary for five minutes). If
> someone knows how to correct this problem will they tell me?

So of your 512MB of physical memory 306MB is being used as a Disc cache.

There is nothing wrong with this at all.
Linux will use all unused memory as a disc cache in order to speed up disc
access. The instant another application needs more memory some of this disc
cache will be released and memory reallocated.

Linux is considerably more efficient in its memory usage than Windows which
just leaves memory lying around unused.

The only time memory is ever an issue is when a process has a 'memory leak'
and uses increasing amounts of memory. You can check for this by leaving
'top' running.

Don't panic

derek

--