On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:44:34 -0500
Charles A Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Actually, Anne made one good point, with a Journaling FS like Ext3,
> > you really can skip the fsck.
>
> Sorry but this is a commonly held misconception.
>
> Both ext2 and ext3 use fsck.
> fsck.ext2 for ext2
> fsck.ext3 for ext3
>
> Even ReisferFS and XFS make use of integrity checks, though They do
> not use fsck.

I didn't mean to imply that they did not make use of it, just that IME, and
seemingly of others, it doesn't seem to be necessary, or can even cause more
problems than simply letting the FS recover the journal by itself.

Unless I am minsunderstanding you, and fsck is used *in the recovery of the
journal*?

I am also assuming that the 'file system integrity check' offered during the
boot process is the same thing as 'fsck'.

As always, striving for accuracy ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046