On Wednesday 07 January 2004 07:32 am, JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 05:11:47 -0800
>
> "Paul O'Rorke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I went into BIOS as you suggested and set "Rescources
> > Controlled by:" to Manual (as opposed to 'auto ESCD'), and
> > hung up on that very reboot, so I returned it to 'auto'.
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure that's the same thing as Plug and Play.
>
> > I thought that Mandrake 9.2 is a PnP aware OS..??  Am I wrong
> > here?
>
> Again, not sure about that. It *does* do it's own auto hardware
> detection, but I don't believe that is the same thing as "Plug
> and Play", which AFAIK is strictly a Windows thang.
>
> I'm firing up the "Tom Brinkman Signal" as we speak ;-)
>
> Hmmm, what *would* the Tom Brinkman Signal look like anyway?

     Nothin good to say. I was stayin out of this for just that
reason. And 'cause I don't know.... why anyone would want an
nforce* chipset system for running Linux.  They get good reviews
on Windoze systems hardware review sites, nowhere else.  There
I've said it ;)

    To try and be helpful tho, I think a search of the lkml and
cooker mailing list archives for 'nforce' would be useful.  IIRC
the usual first advice is to add 'noapic' and 'nolapic' to the
lilo.conf append line for the kernel being used. In order to
completely disable Linux kernel Advanced Programable Interrupt
Control, which nforce does Winsux style and with their
proprietary drivers.

    Another thing I'd look into is the DDR ram used. Paul cited 1
gig, but not the PCxxx rating, or better yet, the ns and Cas
rating and brand.  Asus usually specifies ram brands, Crucial is
often recommended. At least PC3200 should'a been used for that
board. Nothin good to say about nforce's "Twinbank" B$ either,
but I'd try takin one stick of the ram now being used out, and
see if just one stick does better. Also, better than using an
enterprise kernel if both sticks are used, pass 'mem=860M' to the
regular kernel on the lilo.conf append line.  With all lilo.conf
changes, don't forget to run 'lilo' to actually make the change.

   Another source of problems could be the 120GB Western Digital
SATA HDD.  I believe research before purchase would'a precluded
getting a SATA drive, and specially a WD brand one for Linux use.

    Lockups, freezes, and hangs are an nforce trademark, even on
many Winblows systems, according to newsgroups. WD's suck, as
does SATA.  Tol'ya I didn't have anything good to say ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas