Robert Walker wrote:

On Tuesday 03 Feb 2004 1:47 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

CPU temperatures and cooling issues+ memory

I decided to start this thread again.
The precious thread had become a bit rambling.

Well,

My cpu / heatsink and case temperatures are still
regarded by the techies at AMD as withing tollerances.
I am not happy with the conclusion though.

These are:--

Case temp 28C with CPU temp of 49/50C on normal desktop loads.
Case temp 28/32C   CPU temp of 56.5 on 99% Loads (and siezure)

I am not happy with these temps.
I would like to see case temps of 28C constant
and cpu temps of low 40's rising to middle/upper
40's under full load scenarios.

I already have two 8cm case fans ,in at front, out at back.

Hi John,

I usually throw away the stock coolers and buy a decent one. However I do run my Linux standalone router (AMD Athlon 2000+) with its stock cooler and fan adapter so I can use a higher CFM 8cm fan. You could always use a 6cm->8cm adapter+ 8cm fan to increase the airflow over your heatsink. For an Athlon 1800+ which isn't overclocked you shouldn't really need a new heatsink. However AMD are taking out of their backside if they think that a patch is the way to bond a heatsink to a CPU!! Always use high grade heatsink compound (I always use Artic Silver - but thats just laziness :-). If you do want to spend lots of money Swiftech make very nice copper heatsinks :-)

This is unlikely to be the root cause of your problem. Athlon CPUs do run hot. So do P4's for that matter :-) My laptop (P4-M) has a cooling hystersis which switches in at 54C and off at 46C. I built up a Athlon 2500+ based PC for a friend. Even when its not overclocked and with a huge Coolermaster blower-type fan it still runs at 47C idle!!

Have you thought of a powersupply issue? The PSU will be under strain when your CPU is drawing a lot of current (mainly to heat your house). The PSU in another PC I built even tripped the MAIN circuit breaker in the flat :-) The powersupply became more and more unstable (PC just died occasionally). That powersupply was rated at 400W so think QUALITY not POWER!! Antec, Q-Tec, Thermaltake, etc. are good.

Make sure your RAM is branded: Crucial, PNY, Kingston, Samsung, Panasonic, Corsair, etc. In the first PC I built I used generic DDRAM. I had to replace one the modules within a year because it had died :-( Its hard to tell with yours - like you say it may be outsourced Samsung production.

My advice would be to try getting hold/borrowing something like a cheap Q-Tec PSU and/or a crucial DDRAM (PC2100) stick to test what is actually wrong. Then replace these parts (one at a time). Linux has kernel support for avoiding dodgy areas of RAM but I would rather have RAM that works :-)

Hope that helps.

Robert

Thanks Robert,
This is what I want to know,
I trust guys who have been and done it with their own cash more than anything else.

I've been doing a bit of rummaging around and two heatsinks that look better than I have
are,

Swiftech MCX462-V which has a rather novel "hedgehog" type of heatsink.

Vantec VA4-C7040 aeroflow cooler which is definately copper but has a 4 sided vent airflow system.
I don't think either are very quiet though, and although not cheap, are at least affordable.

I do agree about the heatsink compound and that has been my experience too.
My PSU is brand new and rated at 350W, it seems ok ,but not the best. I don't suspect it at the moment.

No mine is a heat transfer problem that I want to improve.I think the 7CM fan provides enough volume of air but the heat is not being transfered quickly enough to the airflow.
That's why I am considering a copper base heatsink, but it's nice to hear from people who have experienced these things ahead of me. I've never used a copper based heatsink. It seems to me these heatsinks have a terribly difficult job to do, the cpu which is only about 10 mm square generates a lot of heat and that has to be whipped away pronto through solid metal. I guess the fins have to be really cold to generate a cross flow of heat energy. It's incredible it works at all.
If your interested to know more about the two heatsinks I mention above just type the model number into google.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]