On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 9:08 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

> >I agree with what Tom is saying. But a CPU that isn't overvolted
> > or overclocked should be OK at an idle temperature of 48C. I
> > would still suspect a PSU issue. Its worth checking by borrowing
> > someone else's just to rule this out. Modern PC components draw
> > massive amounts of current in surges. If your PSU lets the
> > voltage drop slightly too much when this happens (ie not matching
> > the ATX standard of -+5% tolerance) then you get system
> > instability.
> >
> >Just my $0.02.
> >
> >Robert
>
> I don't suppose there is a way of testing that in some way.
> Could I set up a test rig to record power surges in overload use,
> or something.
> to hell if it surges and siezes up. as long as I've some stats to
> analise and present a case, if only to myself.
> gkrellm does running voltages, but I find reading them near
> impossible. Sensors does one time reports I can read, but not
> running voltages.
>
> I don't mind condeming equipement, but I don't like, condeming
> without reason.
>
> I've got spare PSU's that's no problem, but what is there to say
> the replacement is not just as bad ?
>
> John

Hi John,

You said that the problems happened when the system was under a bit of
stress (high CPU load). I would trying using some of your spare PSU's
under these conditions. You probably won't see the problems in the
voltage under any system monitoring software (they may be of too
short a duration - if they are occurring at all).

You aren't trying to do a double blind placebo trial here.... You just
want a PC that works!! (PS thats one way to define the difference
between an engineer and a scientist :-) So just try out the other
dodgy PSU's. If they haven't been used to much they should be fine.
The cheaper ones do seem to wear out over time :-)

Everything in your system depends on stable voltages from the PSU
(RAM, MB and CPU) so it is the lowest common denominator for system
stability!!

Robert