On February 19, 2004 08:54 am, di di wrote:
> Well Mr. Lanman....according to you.....it might be time to be switching
> from my 9,2 mdk to this one you are saying....or should I wait for a more
> stable version? if not, would you give me the mirror for downloading???
>
> IŽll install it on a compaq presario laptop k6-2 366mhz and 160 mb in
> ram....will these requirements fullfill?
>

> Saludos
> Fabian

Wow! Mister Lanman ? Gee, I feel like I should be wearing a tie! Anybody wanna
buy a bridge ? Grin! This is the page where you can find the download links.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/100beta.php3

I can't say for sure whether or not it will work well on your system, but if
you back up your files and home folders before starting an install, you can
always re-install 9.2 and copy your data back - if needed.

If your install goes as well as mine did, I think you'll enjoy it! You should
see a difference in performance as well. Remember to set "/" for 2.5 Gb's and
"/usr" for at least the same amount. "/var" can live with 1.5 Gb's, and you
should make your "swap" file at least 400 Mb's.

On a side note, I wanted to ask the list about something I just discovered.
When I did my 10.0 RC1 install, I created a 4 Gb root partition ( "/" ), a
swap and "/home" partitions as well. However, the /usr partition used up
almost half of that.

The next time I went to install an application, I found out that I was out of
space onn the "/" partition. Having some left over space on my drive to be
used as storage, I deleted the storage partition, and added a new "/usr"
partition.

This is where it's gets a little "sexy". As soon as I selected /usr for the
mount point, diskdrake popped up a new window asking me if I wanted to
transfer the data from the "/usr" directory ( still sitting on the "/"
partition ), to the new "/usr" partition i was creating. It then procedded to
transfer the data without a problem, updated /etc/fstab, and it was done!

Is this a feature that everyone knew about? Or is this a new feature in 10.0 ?
Has anyone had this happen before? This was slick! I've never heard of an
"auto-transfer" before! Almost felt like Artificial Intelligence!

--
Lanman
Registered Linux user #190712

"Smart IT people are staring out