On February 19, 2004 12:21 pm, Charlie Mahan wrote:

> I like what I've seen of Mandrake 10 so far. Except I'm not seeing any
> smoking performance increase and I can't make a 2.6 kernel boot under any
> circumstances on this old POS.

The 2.6 kernel is what makes the difference in performance, I think. Beta 2
ran like a whiz on my PC's, but like a dawg on my laptop. Now it runs fast on
all of them. Go Figure!

Just as an indicator, you'll see as much as 40% improvement in speed. It's
like putting DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on a P4-3.0 Ghz Hyper-threading system
for me. Oh! Silly me, it IS a P4 !

Seriously though, it's much more faster-er-er than it was.
--
Lanman
Registered Linux user #190712

"Smart IT people are staring out