Thursday 19 February 2004 7:25 am, Lanman wrote:
<whack>
> Wow! Mister Lanman ? Gee, I feel like I should be wearing a tie! Anybody
> wanna buy a bridge ? Grin! This is the page where you can find the download
> links.
>
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/100beta.php3
>
> I can't say for sure whether or not it will work well on your system, but
> if you back up your files and home folders before starting an install, you
> can always re-install 9.2 and copy your data back - if needed.
>
> If your install goes as well as mine did, I think you'll enjoy it! You
> should see a difference in performance as well. Remember to set "/" for 2.5
> Gb's and "/usr" for at least the same amount. "/var" can live with 1.5
> Gb's, and you should make your "swap" file at least 400 Mb's.
>
> On a side note, I wanted to ask the list about something I just discovered.
> When I did my 10.0 RC1 install, I created a 4 Gb root partition ( "/" ), a
> swap and "/home" partitions as well. However, the /usr partition used up
> almost half of that.
>
> The next time I went to install an application, I found out that I was out
> of space onn the "/" partition. Having some left over space on my drive to
> be used as storage, I deleted the storage partition, and added a new "/usr"
> partition.
>
> This is where it's gets a little "sexy". As soon as I selected /usr for the
> mount point, diskdrake popped up a new window asking me if I wanted to
> transfer the data from the "/usr" directory ( still sitting on the "/"
> partition ), to the new "/usr" partition i was creating. It then procedded
> to transfer the data without a problem, updated /etc/fstab, and it was
> done!
>
> Is this a feature that everyone knew about? Or is this a new feature in
> 10.0 ? Has anyone had this happen before? This was slick! I've never heard
> of an "auto-transfer" before! Almost felt like Artificial Intelligence!

That's been a "feature" since at least 9.2. Probably earlier, I can't recall
precisely when I first encountered it Maybe 9.0 or 9.1?

 I thought everyone knew about it.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (RC1) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.rc3.1mdk
09:05:18 up 1 day, 10:57, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.33, 0.32
"Not only is God dead, but just try to find a plumber on weekends."
- --Woody Allen