----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Kitching" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linux Not Booting, Error in root partition!--- More
Info!!!

> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 14:05, Marc Resnick wrote:
> >         I just tried to boot again. It said Unexpected Inconsistency.
> >         Run fsck manually.
> >
> >         What's fsck, should I run it, will it destroy anything, how do
> >         I run it? Ah, panicking!
>
> Man, you're having a bad run!
>
> Program "fsck" is the "file system check" application. There is actually
> one for each type of filesystem. For example ReiserFS comes with its
> matching "fsck" application. The "fsck" app presumably fires off the
> appropriate fs-specific version.
>
> This app is expected to know about really low-level grungy filesystem
> details, and to scan a filesystem checking for problems and patching
> them if it finds them. It's actually normal for this to be run at
> regular intervals as a kind of "preventative maintenance" during the
> bootup phase.
>
> You should be able to boot up using your mdk install CD, then select
> "repair" or similar option and then run fsck from there. This is done so
> that the filesystem isn't mounted (being used) when fsck runs, because
> filesystem drivers really don't expect apps to be manipulating the raw
> filesystem layout while they are ready to serve files from that
> filesystem :-)
>
> Of course if the filesystem you need to check is not critical to your
> OS's well being (eg not "/" or "/home" etc) then you can unmount it, eg:
>   umount /dev/hda7
>   fsck /dev/hda7
> which gives me:fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
>   e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
>   /dev/hda7: clean, 11/799680 files, 528969/1598932 blocks
>
> I wouldn't expect fsck to screw up a working filesystem. The fs-specific
> versions of fsck are considered a very important part of a filesystem's
> development and are well-tested. This is *the* way to check/repair
> filesystem problems. Of course if the filesystem is already screwed up,
> fsck isn't guaranteed to be able to repair it...
>
> Just man fsck for more info...
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Okay I entered rescue mode successfully. Uh...couldn't do anything. Pretty
much froze up, couldn't use the arrow keys...or any keys..to do anything.
Note that this also happens whenever I'm booting the kernel and it asks if I
want to force a File System Integrity Check or if I want to do an
interactive startup. No keys work...it's weird. I have a laptop...I don't
know if this affects whether the keys should work or not, but I do...

Anyone have any suggestions?

----