Hoyt Bailey wrote

No spare computer.  The last time I screwed up and had to reinstall it took
4 days.  Mostly fighting those nasty virisus that sneek in while I'm
downloading the norton virus definations.  I dont mind reinstalling windows
but the virus definations are tough.  Also linux is trashed (due to me) so
there is no problem reinstalling it. I just want to do it right for once.

Regards;
Hoyt

If you are confident you have backup facilities for windows, then you don't really
have much to worry about. You can, and should install Mandrake from the installation
discs so it matters not how many times you have to restart till you get it right.

I just wanted to make sure you can really can restore windows if you do mess up.
I know XP doesn't always come with good backup facilities these days unless
you have the professional install discs MS doesn't hand out XP install discs
any more to the likes of PC owners. So if all else fails it's important tobe
able to restore windblows easy . If the Computer came with OEM backup
then use them, if not make your own backup with a drive image programme
first. A good backup programme should restore XP in 20 minutes.

As for the size of partition, that is entirely your own decision, only you
know how much space XP needs. I wouldn't waste 25 gigs on windblows
myself, I'd shring it down to 5or6 gigs, and a spare partition in NTFS
for important things you don't want to loose, but that is my way of
doing things, so whatever you want to do is the right decision for you.

As far as linux /swap partition is concerned , if has nothing
to do with windows at all , windows uses a vitual memory
based on a file with predetemined limits. Linux uses
a spare partition it calls a /swap partition and this should be
about 1 1/2/2 times physical memory.

John

John

--