Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 11 March 2004 13:54, Keith Powell wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 11 Mar 2004 12:47 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>>>Keith, I'm still in 9.1, but it works fine here.  I don't
>>>remember any specific problems.  Have you got aspell installed?
>>>My settings are: Dictionary  ASpell Default
>>>Encoding     ISO 8859-15
>>>Client       Aspell
>>>
>>>Anne
>>
>>Anne.
>>
>>Thanks for your prompt reply.
>>
>>I do have Aspell installed.
>>
>>Kword started with the spelling settings of
>>
>>Dictionary: English
>>ISO: 8859-1
>>Client: International Ispell
>>
>>I changed the settings to the ones you gave me and typed a few
>>words, some with spelling mistakes. When I tried to spell check,
>>KWord crashed!
>>
>>On restarting, it had defaulted back to the settings I gave at the
>>beginning of this reply. Nothing happens when I try to spell check
>>using these settings. Ispell is installed. I have tried many
>>combinations of Dictionary, ISO, and Client, but it always starts
>>with the "default" settings, rather than the ones I have changed it
>>to. Most combinations just don't work, but some make it crash.
>>
>>Very peculiar!
>>

> Very odd indeed!  Have you tried changing the settings, then exiting,
> in the hope that they are saved?  After a crash things do tend to
> revert to the settings when they last closed down properly, so that
> fits the pattern.

Anne

I have just tried it again, changing the settings to the ones you use. I
then exited the program and restarted it.

Dictionary was still Aspell default, and ISO was still 8859-15. But the
Client had changed back to International Ispell.

Trying to spell check with these settings caused KWord to crash.

I then restarted it and the settings it came up with were ASpell
default, 8895-15, International Ispell. So I changed the client again to
Aspell and clicked OK. Immediately opening the Spell Checking menu
again, and the client had reverted to International Ispell. Just to try
to cover everything, I did the same but clicked on Accept and then OK.
It tells me that the font "Symbol" isn't installed, but I can't think
that has any bearing on the problem.

As I said earlier, I have ASpell installed and have no problems with
KMail (which I understand uses it), or Abiword. However, KSpread and
KPresenter both crash when I try to spell check in them.

As Alice said, "Curiouser and curiouser!"

Cheers

Keith